Tech Mag is the flagship series of bike trainers from Blackburn. The Blackburn Tech Mag 6 Trainer is among the brand’s bestselling products – and this review will explore why.
Blackburn Tech Mag 6 Trainer is one of the best bike trainers using magnetic resistance. The sturdy and affordable Blackburn trainer has 6 resistance levels with a remote shifter, adjustable front feet, and a convenient FastCrank mounting system. It also comes with a lifetime warranty.
Pros of the Blackburn Tech Mag 6 Trainer
- 6 resistance levels with a remote adjuster for the handlebar.
- Adjustable front feet for uneven floors and different heights.
- Convenient FastTrack mounting system for easy assembly.
- A special, branded quick-release skewer that is included in the kit.
- Less noisy than bike or cycle trainers that use wind resistance.
- Considerably cheaper than trainers that use fluid resistance.
- Sturdy construction using only heavy-duty components.
- Sleek and foldable design for easy storage and portability.
Cons of the Blackburn Tech Mag 6 Trainer
- Not as quiet as fluid trainers.
- A bit costlier than wind trainers.
Who Should Buy The Blackburn Tech Mag Trainer?
Any cyclist, fitness enthusiast, and hobbyist looking for a reasonably priced, relatively quiet, and magnetic bike trainer with adjustable resistance should buy the Blackburn Tech Mag Trainer. The Blackburn trainer is equally suitable for racers and triathletes.
Wind trainers are noisy, and they don’t offer adjustable resistance. The progressive resistance they offer is completely dependent on speed. Thus, enthusiasts and professionals undergoing recovery training won’t have the advantage of increased resistance at slower speeds with wind trainers.
In contrast, the Blackburn bike trainer is quiet enough to be used indoors, and you won’t have to put your headphones on to cancel the noise. Also, you can listen to music, watch television, or check out online videos without the Tech Mag 6 drowning out the sound.
More importantly, the Blackburn trainer offers 6 adjustable resistance levels without any gear change. So, you can increase the resistance at slow speeds to simulate uphill cycling. And you can change the level by using the remote resistance adjuster mounted on the handlebar.
Fluid trainers are slightly quieter than the Blackburn indoor bike trainer. However, they are also much more expensive. Additionally, fluid trainers don’t offer adjustable resistance. This means that racers and triathletes can’t increase the resistance without speeding up, which isn’t always ideal for their training.
Amateur cyclists and those with intermediate skills may want variable resistance to alter their riding routine during practice, warm-ups, and off-season training. Fluid trainers don’t have the flexibility. However, the Blackburn Tech Mag race trainer ticks all these checkboxes.
Additionally, the Blackburn indoor bike trainer is just as usable outdoors due to its water-resistant design. This makes the trainer extremely versatile, explaining why it’s so popular among users.
Why the Blackburn Tech Mag 6 Trainer Is Worth It
The Blackburn Tech Mag 6 Trainer is not among the most expensive models in this niche. Some magnetic resistance trainers cost much more. Furthermore, as mentioned, it’s significantly more affordable than fluid trainers.
That said, there are several reasons the price of this trainer is more than worth it, even without taking into account competitors.
- The FastCrank mounting system doesn’t require any tools to assemble the trainer. You only need lock nuts and adjusters to set the whole thing up. Furthermore, the quick-release skewer in the kit is very easy to use.
- You can use the handlebar-mounted remote to change the resistance level from 1 through 6. Not all magnetic resistance trainers have this feature, so you have to get off your bike to change the level. However, the Blackburn lever is as handy as the gear shifter.
- The 2 front feet are adjustable, so you can raise or lower their heights. This feature is invaluable for anyone who doesn’t have a perfectly leveled floor. Additionally, if you intend to change the height for varying ground clearance, you can do so with the adjustable feet.
- The only noise is of your bike’s rear-wheel contacting the roller. There’s no fan or noisy flywheel like those on a wind trainer. This means that you can use the Blackburn indoor bike trainer without troubling anyone in your home or neighbors in some cases.
- You have the option to use a front-wheel block with the Blackburn trainer. The feet with adjustable height enable you to lower the rear wheel to the minimum clearance, which is 1 cm (0.4 inches) from the ground.
- The Blackburn Tech Mag race trainer folds flat for storage and portability. You can easily carry it around and slide it on a small shelf in a cabinet or tuck it under if you want.
- Apart from the 6 adjustable levels, you also get to endure progressive resistance. Therefore, you aren’t limited to choosing between fixed, adjustable, and progressive resistance. Instead, you can enjoy all these options using just a single training tool – the Blackburn trainer.
- The kit includes rubber inserts for the remote if you have to mount it on bars with a diameter smaller than 26 mm (1 inch). Not everyone uses handlebars that have a diameter of 31.8 mm (1.25 inches), and the rubber inserts ensure the trainer is convenient for all users.
The sturdy parts and the limited lifetime warranty make investing in a Blackburn Tech Mag 6 Trainer totally worthwhile. Every critical component is metal. The gaskets are high-quality rubber, and the adjusters are heavy-duty plastic, not the fragile kind you’ll find in many trainers.
Every Blackburn Tech Mag trainer with adjustable resistance has been suitable for mountain biking and road cycling. The Tech Mag 6 is no different in this regard. You can switch gears, change the resistance level, and simulate various terrains.
Furthermore, the Blackburn Tech Mag 6 Trainer doesn’t wobble or become unsteady at a higher gear and resistance. As long as the bike is mounted perfectly, the stand won’t shake. You can shift your weight sideways and twist a bit before pedaling to test if the bike is steady.
The Blackburn Tech Mag 6 Trainer is a sturdy, durable, and stable trainer that offers adjustable magnetic resistance. This Blackburn trainer can fit most bikes (barring cycles with an internal gear hub), making it a great investment in your training routine.